Keeping Those Pesky Humble Mosquitoes At Bay
June 15, 2022 - Mosquitoes
Humble, Texas, is about 20 minutes away from Houston. It is an active community that benefits from gorgeous weather almost year-round. Its climate makes train rides, botanical gardens, golf outings, and a swim day a perfect pleasure. The only thing that can cast a pale on outdoor activities is the dreaded mosquito. Pest Control in Humble can help drive mosquitoes away and restore the fun to your outdoor activities.
Why Do We Need Mosquitoes In Humble?
Mosquitoes in Humble is a year-long problem. Residents get used to them being part of their everyday life. To most, mosquitoes are a pest put on this planet to aggravate people, but they do have a purpose other than aggravation.
Two ways mosquitoes are essential to have around include the following:
- They are pollinators.
- They are a link in the food chain.
The ecosystem runs on a delicate balance, and believe it or not, mosquitoes play a vital part in the food chain. Their contribution to the pollination and fertilization process is invaluable, and they are also an important food source for other animals.
A Brief History Of Mosquito Control
People have been battling mosquitoes for centuries. Over the years, connections between mosquitoes and diseases have set people on a path to search for the most effective ways to repel mosquitoes.
Four highlights of the history of the search for effective mosquito control include:
- Native Americans used plants to keep mosquitoes away.
- In the 1800s and 1900s, the USDA and U.S. Army began testing sprays and powders to try and deter mosquitoes.
- In the 1940s and 1950s, the military used DDT to prevent and control mosquitoes; local and states governments also began to use it in the 1960s.
- When DDT became banned in the U.S., repellents initially created during and after WWII started showing up on store shelves. Other products such as citronella candles, bug zappers, and light traps became popular.
Valiant efforts have been made throughout history to try and protect people from mosquitoes. In continuing this quest, pest control companies like Bugtime Termite & Pest Control keep current in all modern mosquito control products to give customers the most efficient and safe mosquito protection.
The Diseases Mosquitoes Can Transmit
Not every mosquito you encounter bites. Only the female requires a blood meal to produce her eggs. While your chances of receiving a bite that transmits a disease are low, it can happen; and the effects can be pretty serious.
Some diseases associated with mosquitoes include:
- Zika virus
- West Nile virus
- Dengue fever
- Yellow fever
Knowing the trouble mosquitoes bring to the Humble area can be frightening, but property owners have prevention options. Bugtime Termite & Pest Control have the tools and knowledge to safely and effectively deter mosquitoes from your property.
Natural Ways To Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your Yard
There are natural ways to repel mosquitoes. Simple modifications in your yard can go a long way to getting rid of mosquito attractions.
Four modifications in your yard that help deters mosquitoes include:
- Keeping your grass trimmed
- Keeping your yard free from leaves and debris that will allow water to pool
- Repairing damaged drainage devices and keeping them unobstructed
- Removing areas of standing water in your yard.
Despite your best efforts, you may still have issues with mosquitoes; therefore, the best way to get rid of mosquitoes from your yard is to reach out to Bugtime Termite & Pest Control. Our veteran-owned and operated company has been serving the Humble area since 1998. Call Bugtime Termite & Pest Control today, and let us put a protection plan in place that will help you enjoy your yard again.